Tuesday already? Yep, you bet.
Happy Tasty Tuesday, everyone!
Today, in honor of the month of March being Colon Cancer Awareness Month, we have Unstuffed Pepper Bowls with ground turkey, instead of ground beef. Lean proteins such as poultry, egg, beans are better to consume in comparison to red meats such as pork, beef, lamb. High red meat consumption is a risk factor for colon cancer (high consumption is over 500 g/week). This high consumption has actually been shown to increase risk of Colon Cancer by 20-30% 😲 Red meat, unfortunately, has high levels of saturated fats which can increase chances of not only cancer, but heart disease as well.
Let us know what you think! And, as always, enjoy!
– 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
– 1 small yellow onion, diced (1 cup)
– 2 cups chopped bell pepper (any color)
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
– 1 lb lean ground turkey
– 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp)
– 1 tsp chili powder
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– Few dashes cayenne pepper, (optional)
– 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
– 3 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
– 2 (10 oz) pkgs. frozen cauliflower rice, cooked according to package instructions and seasoned with salt
– 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion and saute 2 minutes then add in bell peppers, season with salt and pepper and saute until softened, about 6 minutes.
Transfer pepper mixture to a plate. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
Add in turkey in large crumbles, season with salt and pepper.
Let rest, until golden brown on bottom, about 2 minutes then toss.
Continue to cook and break up turkey, about 2 minutes more, until almost fully cooked through, then add garlic, chili powder, cumin and cayenne.
Cook turkey through then stir in tomatoes and pepper mixture and warm through, about 1 minute. Stir in parsley.
Plate cauliflower rice, top with cheddar cheese (I like to add it in the middle layer so it melts nicely), then finish with ground turkey mixture!
Recipe source: Cooking Classy