Tasty Tuesday is here yet again! Today, in honor of the warmer weather, we have recipe to warm your bellies! ☺️
Today’s recipe of Spicy Black Bean Soup is vegan, gluten free, high in fiber and protein, and low in fat- AKA perfect for anyone and everyone!
Black beans are wonderful sources of protein, which is essential for our bodies to rebuild and repair tissues- it helps our bones, our skin, our muscles, and our blood.
This recipe also has a ton of vegetables in it, which only helps to meet the daily recommended intake of 5 servings of fruits/veggies per day!
As always, let us know what you think, and enjoy!
– 1 heaping cup diced onion (1 small or 1/2 a large)
– 1 heaping cup peeled and diced carrot
– 1 diced green pepper
– 1 cup chopped celery
– 1/2 a jalapeno, de-seeded and minced (or a whole one for extra spiciness)
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tsp each cumin, oregano and chili powder
– 3–4 cups vegetable broth (start with 3 cups, add a bit if it seems too thick)
– 1 cup (250 mL) tomato sauce (any plain tomato pasta sauce works)
– 1 19 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (330 g, about 2 cups cooked beans)
– 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
– salt and pepper, to taste
– squeeze of fresh lime juice
Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and bell pepper to a soup pot with a bit of the vegetable broth and cook for 5-10 minutes until starting to soften, stirring occasionally. You can saute in a bit of olive oil if you prefer.
Stir in the spices and cook for a few more minutes.
Add the broth, tomato sauce and black beans and bring to a simmer. Simmer lightly until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
Scoop half of the soup into a blender and puree until very smooth. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender in the pot but I like the creaminess achieved by transferring it to the blender.
Pour the blended soup back into the pot and stir in the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and add a squeeze of fresh lime juice, if desired.
**Thanks for the recipe: from RunningonRealFood.com**