Hummus quesadillas? Why have we never thought of this before!
An excellent snack or quick lunch for you and your family, with the ability to be customized as you please. This is also an awesome dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegetarian option for those with diet restrictions.
We love this recipe because it allows families to include sneaky veggies- see below for our recommendations. **Don’t forget to try for at least 5 servings of veggies per day!** Not only is hummus a protein-rich food, but when it is warmed up, it takes on an almost cheese-esc consistency, which is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters!
– 8-inch whole grain tortilla (or gluten-free tortilla for gluten-free quesadillas)
– ¼ to ⅓ cup hummus of choice (Roasted Red Pepper is one of our favorites and seems to go with any topping)
– Fillings of your choice (We love a handful of sauteed spinach in olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, and some thinly sliced onions, but you can also do sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli…)
– Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
– Optional, for serving: additional hummus, hot sauce, pesto, etc
- Spread hummus generously over your tortilla. Lightly cover one-half of the tortilla with fillings of your choice. Fold the blank half over to create a half-moon shape. Repeat if you’d like to make more than one quesadilla; you can cook up to two at a time in the same skillet.
- Warm a medium skillet over medium heat. Place the folded quesadilla(s) in the pan. Let the bottom sides warm up for a minute or two, then carefully flip. Brush the warm sides lightly with olive oil and let them cook in the pan for another minute or two. Carefully flip once again, brush the new top side lightly with olive oil, and cook until the bottom is lightly golden and crisp. Carefully flip and cook until that side is lightly golden and crisp.
- Transfer the quesadilla(s) to a cutting board and let them rest for a couple of minutes. Then, use a sharp chef’s knife or pizza cutter to slice each quesadilla into three wedges. Serve immediately. I enjoyed mine as-is, but you might like some additional hummus on the side, or perhaps some hot sauce or a dab of pesto.
- Recipe adapted from: Cookie and Kate