Here’s what one of our teachers had to say about our education program …
I have been a teacher for almost twelve years and have always been a health advocate for students in both my elementary and middle school classrooms. The topic of adolescent cancer prevention is one that NEEDS to be discussed in a school setting, but unfortunately often does not due to other curricular priorities. Giving students the valid information at an early age gives them the best chance to make important decisions regarding nutrition, exercise, sleep, and sunscreen use—all decisions that will impact all aspects of their present and future health, not only in cancer prevention. Academics and health go hand-in-hand, which is why presentations from the Beat Cancer Family Foundation only make sense to have more frequently in schools.
Your students receive the information they need to lead lives built on healthy choices that will significantly reduce their risk of getting cancer. Our presentations work well as complement to a unit focused on nutrition or making healthy lifestyle choices. Your BCFF Community Educator will have a PowerPoint presentation saved to a flash drive and a clicker to navigate through the overhead presentation. The use visual props helps to keep your students engaged and curious throughout this learning experience.
Topics covered include:
- What cancer is and how it develops in our bodies
- How cancer is typically detected and diagnosed
- Cancer treatment overview and the 3 main types (Surgery, Radiation and Chemotherapy)
- Cancer Prevention – Risk factors and Healthy Lifestyle Choices (importance of knowing family history of cancer, the dangers of tobacco and alcohol use, understanding the role of carcinogens, responsible sun exposure, and the importance of exercise and proper nutrition.)
Presentation length for class scheduling:
- A full length presentation is about 2 hours long and we are happy to present to your students over 2 days in order to give them the full presentation.
- A condensed presentation fits into a 45 minute class or can be customized to a time frame you can dedicate to this education.
If you are interested in your students receiving our free cancer awareness and prevention education, contact us at email@example.com